Tuesday, August 16, 2011

http://www.defence.lk/new.asp?fname=20110815_02


Finding Nidarshan ...


Thousands were herded, children nabbed and elderly forced to labour digging trenches and building bunts what later transpired to be a final bid by LTTE to prolong an inevitable defeat.
Families were driven off their homes and scattered into makeshift shelters as they later came to be known: destined for many more horrors at the hands of a fanatic outfit.
Finding Nidarshan is a similar story of a 4 year-old boy and his family who had to endure the brunt of a common curse caste upon during the final days of a most ruthless terror outfit.
A true story of hope and belief that defied the greatest odds, reunited in a determined effort by the Sri Lankan Government and UNICEF.
This is their story :
The family had great hopes for their son, Nidarshan, the third. Parents loved that name though his real name was Darshan, so everybody called the boy Nidarshan.
Nidarshan's family lived in Kilinochchi. Unfortunately LTTE forced them to pack their belongings and leave the area with them in January 2009.
"Army is so close, if you do not come with us they will kill you" one in Tiger uniform yelled.
All were frightened. Nidarshan started crying he could only say "Amma ..... Appa....."
The Tamil Tigers had left no option. They had to go with them (LTTE).
Finally they arrived at Pudumathalan No Fire Zone after a long and tired journey.
There were about 2000 civilians trapped in the NFZ according to Nidarshan's Mother, Udaya Kumari.
"They (LTTE) kept us as a human shield" never allowed to leave them.
In April 2009, Army announced to cross the lagoon and come towards them.
"We have two daughters I carried the youngest, my husband Sinnathambi Sithraweil took the eldest".
"My brother carried Nidarhasn on his shoulders."
"I took a deep breath, desperately trying to keep calm and started to move to the Army."
They crossed the lagoon with many others looking for new hopes for their lives. But, Udaya Kumari seems destined never to meet her child again as she heard his brother was shot by the Tamil Tigers while crossing the lagoon.
Her mind went blank for a moment and she suddenly burst into tears... Not knowing what to do she was running here and there seeking out Nidarshan and her brother.
"I sought help from the Army to find them. They gave me a Binocular to see whether I could catch a glimpse of them. But I failed."
Later we were transferred to Omanthai.
"I was the last to get onboard the bus, desperately waiting to catch a sight of them."
"We sent the injured separately. I saw there were children too; your son may be with them." A soldier in Army uniform told Udaya Kumari.
Once they arrived in Omanthai, Udaya Kumari heard that her brother was admitted to Omanthai hospital and nothing could stop her rushed into seeing him at the hospital.
"He was soon transferred to Colombo accident ward," said a nurse when Udaya Kumari inquired about her brother.
"We did everything what we could to find my brother or talk to him. And I knew if I could do that, surely I would be able to find a clue of what had happened to my little Nidarshan."
"Nothing had happened to Nidarshan, he is fine. Someone took him after I had been shot," brother told her over the phone.
It gave her new hope and made her to start over finding Nidarsan.
She informed officers of the Department of Probation and Child Care Services regarding her child and was later asked to give details to Vavuniya office.
"I am really sorry! We don't have any record of child named Darshan or Nidarshan." An officer in the Vavuniya office replied.
Udaya Kumari never gave up. She went to seek help from the Army. They took her to each welfare camp in the area, where Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) was accommodated.
But she was not fortunate to find a clue on her child.
Meanwhile, they were transferred from Poontottam to Ananda Kumaraswami welfare camp where they met many relatives and friends.
"I saw a child whose face seemed just like you. He lives in my neighbourhood." A relative of Udaya Kumari revealed.
It took her almost a year to exactly trace her son's whereabouts.
"We won't give this child back and he doesn't like to leave us either." the one that take care of Nidarshan, refused to hand over the child to his parents.
Though little Nidarshan recognized his mother, he didn't want to go to her. The terror has made him drifted apart from his mother's love.
"I pleaded many a time with them to give my child back, but they didn't change their stance."
Later, Udaya Kumari submitted her grievances to the Police and to the Department of Probation and Child Care Services.
"They helped me untie this anomaly. They even had to take up the case before a court law seeking for justice."
All parties were summoned before the court. The court finally decided to allow Udaya Kumari to meet her child three times a day, since Nidarshan still refused to go to his mother.
"But they didn't allow me to see my child. They were against me all the time."
"Once again I complained the matter to the Department of Probation and Child Care Services. They personally intervened in the issue and allowed me to keep my child for couple of days with me."
Now Nidarshan has realized who his real parents are. Ever since he was adored by mother's love, he never felt like leaving her anymore. The case was taken up again on 15th March 2010. Finally, court decided to hand the child back to their proper parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment